Thursday, March 8, 2012

The King and the Queen




    Here they are: the benevolent rulers of the kingdom in which I dwell. Forced to come up with some way to begin my description of them, I can only throw up my hands and declare, "They are Mom and Dad, world without end, amen!" Looking at them together causes me to ruminate even further than usual upon true love, for they are, as Mrs. Jennings in the 1996 Sense and Sensibility would put it, "Besotted . . . an excellent match."

      I'm not sure how an impartial observer would see  them. Simply as "a couple in their fifties" won't do. A uniquely American pair, perhaps? After all, they are both wholesome, quality people who like cheeseburgers and own too many T-shirts. Of course, they may carry more pomp in people's opinions than I know; Mary once told me that before her mother got to know mine, she thought she would turn out to be a "preppy rich lady". It's true that Mom always lovingly irons each item of her outfit before appearing in public, and that she prefers dignified lipstick and French food. Dad also irons all his town duds, styles his hair to gleaming salt-and-pepper perfection, and dislikes driving unless he has first sterilized the windshield. But in truth, while they are the king and the queen, they are also my best buddies, and I have a hard time viewing them in a formal light.    
   
    They are rich in good children, good laughs, and good sense; never have a joke far from their minds, and never have grave matters far from them either. I've told Mother before that I hope I can grow up to be half so good as they are; and she of course said that she knew I would be much better. But I know the truth: Mom and Dad are one of a kind; impossible to imitate. There never has been anyone like either of them. They share a peculiarly lovely union, two absolutely indomitable people who have long hard years behind them and spirits that strive for ever more victories in the future; who chose to be together for as long as they live, and to raise their children with all their heart and soul.
   
     What fine parents! It must have been a trying ordeal to raise me, but they never gave me a moment's doubt that I was loved. That's a gift I have no idea how to repay, except to love them back and make them proud by living my life with colors flying and glory undimmed. They want nothing but the best for me. I want nothing but the best for them.   

1 comment: